Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Winter is Coming

I'm typing this as I watch the snow fall outside my window, thinking "I should have taken the kids to the park more" and "Why didn't we go camping one last time?"
I don't want to admit that the days of darkness and temperatures down to -60 are on the way. Last year it snowed the day before my daughters birthday, May 12. It will be a long time until we have warm weather here again.
So to make myself a little more excited, I'm going to share some of my favorite things about winters in Alaska.

 The World Ice carving Championships
 Ice Slides
 Ice Tunnels
More Ice slides, this time with sleds
 Mosquitoes that don't bite
 Sled Rides from my kids
Cool, although a bit depressing time lapse photos of how much sunlight we get in the middle of winter.
Photo courtesy of UAF
And of course, last but not least, the northern lights. I'm pretty sure this right here makes up for all of it.
Image credit: http://joey-holliday.com/

Does anyone else already have snow? What are some of  your favorite winter activities?



4 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! I know so little about Alaska- I love your winter wonderland posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see the northern lights someday but hopefully it will just be on vacation ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couch you can sleep on during your stay. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is amazing...such a different place from Florida...lol!! I forget there are really magical winter lands like where you live!

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/