Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Monday, March 13, 2017

A Few Of My Favorite Things

       Writing has never been something I've felt overly confident with, at least not for anything longer than a few sentences. My first two posts on To Each Their Own were very difficult for me. I struggled with opening up about identity in my introduction and then even more so after my attempt to write about A Day Without A Woman. I felt so incredibly isolated from the women in this group, even feeling like the kid whose mom has to call all the other kid's parents to tell them to play nice. 

       These last few weeks have been especially trying as my health has been doing a fun little roller coaster. For years I have suffered from various stomach issues, but lately they've been joined with severe abdominal and side pains, dizziness, extreme fatigue, and a distinct reduction in my ability to concentrate. Some of these issues are being addressed after recent blood work but for the most part the pain is still a mystery. 

       It has been frustrating to say the last. I have felt the urge to give up more times than I could even begin to count, but every time there has been someone there to help me get back on my feet. I am always amazed at my friends and their ability to see the best in me when I am feeling my worst. So that all being said I'd like to take the time today to share two things that bring me joy, both as a personal reminder and in hopes that they can bring you a few moments of contentment as well. 

My Cats

       I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I am a self-proclaimed crazy cat lady. I have five beautiful fur babies that help me every day to focus on the good. They are (in order of acquirement and in the photos below) Lily, Sashay, Jake, Elwood, and Katinka.
I know, I know. I have a weird taste in names for pets. Heck, I even had a fish named Tarquin once if you don't think the others are that bad. 


These little fuzz balls are always there when I need someone to talk to or cuddle with. They provide endless hours of entertainment with their antics and when I'm home sick in bed or find myself feeling so exhausted I can barely make it through the day they will lay with me until I'm ready to get up. I love them so much. They are the (very fuzzy) light of my life.

Photography

     I have had a camera practically glued to my hand since high school ended. Looking back on old photos this wasn't always a great thing, although I was so darn proud at the time. But as I continue to take photos I can definitely see the progress that I have made and having a wonderful network of supportive friends has been a huge part of that. Even though my health has kept me from doing photography as a full time gig, and lately shooting even more sporadically than usual, photography continues to provide me with a sense of fulfillment. Just yesterday in fact I pushed through the pain and went to Disney for The Flower and Garden Festival so that I could take photos. I probably spent a solid hour just in the butterfly garden before heading around the World Showcase.

       Nature photography is my all time favorite, being able to go out and capture these little pieces of the world.  Being surrounded by local and state parks (in addition to having things like the Flower and Garden Festival or Animal Kingdom only an hour away) gives me ample opportunities to photograph these beautiful creatures. 


       I've been asked many times to take photos for friends and family as well, whether it be for special events or just family photos. Those are a lot more nerve-wracking and I'm always terrified that I won't live up to the expectations, but when I see them sharing the photos after and the joy having those memories can provide it makes every bit of anxiety worth it. Now, bear in mind, that doesn't make the anxiety any less for next time, but that is a whole other issue in and of itself. It is my goal to keep trying, despite the mental roadblocks, and to focus on the positive even when it seems like it's impossible. 


       It's been a rough day, and I am sorry for the lateness of this post, but it would make me so happy to hear a few of the things that lighten your spirits when things aren't going your way. You can share them here in the comments or in the conversation group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/ 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/