Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Face your Fear Friday: The One for the Job

I was cold despite the humidity.  The air-conditioning was working over-time that June as I sat in an old school building that smelled strongly like I imagine the majority of buildings built in the 70's must smell like.  There was a woman at the desk typing away like a frantic bird pecking at a log.  She'd pause now and then to file some papers away- and the sound of the analog clock would mark her absence with a click click click.  

I tried to catch her eye and smile hopefully in a way that I hope seemed friendly but I'm pretty sure looked more uncomfortable than anything.  Someone had told me once that it was important to try and make friends with everyone- especially the ladies in the office.  They could make you or break you.  This time it didn't really matter though because the woman hadn't glanced my direction since she took my name and asked me to take a seat.

I was 22 and had given birth to my first son only weeks before.  My skirt and blouse felt oddly foreign on my new body.  I crossed and uncrossed my legs a few times before settling on crossing my ankles under the chair beneath me and straightening my skirt.  I was trying to look professional but feeling like a child as I waited for my name to be called.

I had arrived early- but surely hours had passed since I'd walked through the door with the peeling paint and last year's yearbook flyers.  Adhering to another piece of advice- always wear a watch to an interview (as it makes you appear punctual and responsible) I looked at my wrist to learn that time was not passing in the outside world at the same rate it was passing in my anxiety-ridden mind. 

A creak of a door opening around the corner behind me set my heart racing.  My internal thump thump thump filled my ears drowning out the tick tick tick of the clock and the tap tap tap of the desk-lady's false nails hitting the keys of her dinosaur of a computer.  I sat up a little straighter and tried to look patient and professional instead of trembling like a kitten at the vet. 

A confident woman's voice was thanking another woman for her time and I stole a glance in their direction.  My heart sank as I took  in my competition.  She was tall, middle aged, confident and well-dressed.  Her smile was infectious and as they exchanged final pleasantries- they seemed more like old friends than new acquaintances.  The woman left and my name was called. I sat up a little taller instead of caving into my instincts and crawling away on the floor.

The desk-lady glanced at me expectantly and I somehow managed to stand- forcing out a smile just a second too late as she turned back to her computer screen and gestured toward the office down the hall. I straightened my skirt one last time, secured my purse over my shoulder, and gripped my full-color freshly printed resume in my hands. Here  we go.

..::--.--.--.--::..

[Image Source: Here ]

Interviewing for a job is one of the most universally intimidating moments in our culture.  When I went to my first interview- a summer office job for the county (I was 15), my dad dropped me off unexpectedly (for some reason I thought he was going to sit and wait for me?). My anxiety kicked-in and I wasn't able to get through even the first few minutes of the interview before I broke into sobs. 

Embarrassing.

I got better at interviewing as I got older.  It's one of those things that just takes practice.
There are some rules of thumb for interviews that I've always found helpful.

1.) Relax
Easier said than done right?  I know.  I'm the girl who bawled through her first interview- remember?  But it can be done.  Once you get past the whole "holy heck these people are judging me" and the "I really need this job- I cannot mess this up."  you're good to go. haha No but seriously- just take everything one step at a time.  It's not likely that your interviewer is going to WANT to make you uncomfortable; in fact they might be a little uncomfortable themselves.   Just remember that you're both people trying a potential professional relationship out.  The worst that can happen is you don't get the job and you move on.

2.) Be Yourself
Another one of those things people always say- but isn't really helpful at the time even though in hindsight you realize how much grief you could have saved yourself.  Just remember that being "yourself" shouldn't overshadow the fact that you want them to like you enough to hire you.  You don't have to pull out your soap box on every political issue on the first date.  Instead- aim for the "best" you.  Emphasize your talents and traits that would make you the perfect fit for the job.

3.) Dress for Success
While being "yourself" is important- you have to remember that your interviewer is going to expect you to be putting your best foot forward and showing a little bit of extra effort for your interview.  Think about what kind of job you are trying to get- and then dress just a little bit nicer than you normally would if you got that job.  Choose colors/patterns that are clean and simple but compliment you.  One idea is to find your "season" to find colors that look extra good on you- or even look up what colors are preferable for an interview depending on what impression you're hoping to give.  (And of course remember the hint I got years ago about always wearing a watch.  It couldn't hurt!)

4.) Know you're Stuff
It's important to be prepared before going to an interview.  You should be knowledgable in the field you are applying for.  Do your research and be prepared to answer the kinds of questions you should expect an interviewer to ask for that particular job.  Consider having a "mock" interview with a friend or family member where they ask you questions and you give your responses as if you were actually at the interview.  Having prepared responses will take some of the uncertainty out of the situation and you will be able to think more clearly.

4.) Turn the Tables
Remember you're not on trial.  While it's up to the interviewer to decide whether or not he/she wants to hire you- ultimately the choice of whether or not you're going to work there will belong to you.  Consider bringing a few questions of your own.  Questions like these ones I recently saw on Pinterest:

Questions to ask during an interview.


I didn't end up getting the job I was interviewing for that day.  I may or may not have talked about my new baby too much- or maybe I just didn't have the kind of experience they were looking for in that position.  Either way it all worked out for the best in the end and I landed a job where I've learned a lot and I've been able to be really successful.

Which brings me to my last rule of being on an interview:

5.) Don't get discouraged
Just because you don't land an awesome job after your first interview (or even after several interviews) doesn't mean you're never going to find something.  Just remember that even if it was your one hundred and fiftieth interview- the person who was chosen over you may have had to go to one hundred and fifty-one before they got that job.  Use every opportunity as a learning experience and a chance for growth; and take one day at a time.  Try your best every chance you get- and that's all you can do!







3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome tips Jess! I am sure I'll need them at some point! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAHHH! We need a job!

    Okay, pity party over.

    Doesnt job hunting suck?...oh wait, I just said pity party over.

    ANYwho, love the tips. And I love you. I'm so grateful you have a job that you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess! Sorry I'm just reading this. My days have melted into nights and vice versa this past week. Anyhow- LOVED this article. Absolutely perfect. I loved how you wrote it and how descriptive you were about the details. (lol to the the lady in the office like a bird pecking at a log). I just wanted to jump through the screen and give younger you a big hug. I cannot stand interviewing, either. However, I totally agree that by trying to relax a little and by being yourself, it can be such a better experience overall. Thanks again! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/