Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tackle it Tuesday: Budget Birthday

Today my husband celebrated his birthday. The weeks leading to this day have induced stress as I pictured the bills lying on my counter and realized that all the gifts I'd love to give are unobtainable at this point in our life.


At first I gave into the doldrums. Then I spent a few days thinking, I could always use the credit card. Finally I decided to stay positive (which has never come easy for me), stay within our budget, and "make it work" (channeling my inner Tim Gunn, of course).

And I am thrilled to report that Brandon's birthday celebration was the best we have ever had. By not being able to use a large amount of money I had to put more thought into every decision. Would x, y, and z make the day more special or would they just be a waste of money? By truly deliberating on gifts and activities money was saved and the day became far more meaningful than previous celebrations.


So here's what my kiddos and I did:

1. Inexpensive cards- my boys loved taking scrapbook paper and decorating cards for their daddy. My oldest spent over 45 minutes drawing a detailed "storm" and "robots". I am loved tailoring my card to hint at what our celebration was going to entail.


2. Heartfelt gifts- what does your spouse/child/friend truly love? What are their hobbies? For my Love he enjoys acapella music. I scoured the internet for weeks hoping to find tickets to a concert. Finally, I found a FREE concert that is planned for mid-October at his alma-mater. I personally don't love acapella music, so being willing to plan and participate in this type of event meant a lot to my husband.

My boys and I threw a little flour, salt, water, and food coloring in a bowl and made casts of their hand prints for my husband to display on his shelf at work. Brandon is not that sentimental--I always love "hand made" more than he does--but he truly loved the boys' gift to him.



Lastly, we mixed up our breakfast with "I {heart} U" shaped pancakes and surprised Daddy in bed. My kids loved making these!


3. Keep it simple- I cringe every time I see over the top birthday parties. My kids never remember the decorations or games. My husband most certainly doesn't care if his drink is served in a mason jar, a long-stemmed glass, or a plastic cup. The celebration should be about having fun, laughing, and enjoying one another's company.


Today, Brandon and I did just that. I had a friend watch my children at her home. Once they were gone I cleaned the house and called my husband saying, "Place an order at your favorite restaurant and pick it up on your way home." (side note- always scourer the internet for coupons. We scored a free appetizer by doing this!) I then set up a picnic in the family room--complete with random candles I could find from around the house and enjoyed an at-home date with my hubby. We spent three hours together, and it was wonderful. The activities were fun (we played a little Truth or Dare and then watched my new Netflix addiction: New Girl). Once we picked up my boys we sang happy birthday and ate dessert.

Simple, inexpensive, and heartfelt. Best birthday ever. Happy Birthday, Brandon!

2 comments:

  1. This is perfect Sarah. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. I can TOTALLY relate. I think the sweet and heartfelt things and acts of service are the gifts that mean the most.

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/