Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Toasted Perfection

109 degrees.
That is what the intersection's large thermometer read today.
Thankfully, Dallas has lucked out so far this summer and has had almost no humidity. 
It's amazing. 
I can so handle 109 degrees if it's humidity free. 

Actually, I can also handle 109 degree summers, even with humidity, if it means 60 degree winters. And sunshine. And no snow. 

See, not only do I typically struggle with Postpartum Depression, I have SAD:  Seasonal Affective Disorder. And snow with SAD? Well, they go hand-in-hand. And not in a good way. 

Here's the thing with lawyers, they have to take "the Bar" in a particular state, and if they pass the Bar they are certified to practice law in that state only. Brandon and I were faced with an interesting dilemma during the middle of law school:  where did we want to live for the rest of our lives? (well, the rest of his working career). 

Because the California blood runs deep in my husband he is not a "snow person". (Frankly, can a man get more attractive? I think not). I, having grown up in the nastiness that is snow and finding myself sinking into deep despairs during winters in Kansas (where my husband went to law school), knew that I, too, am not a "snow person". This fact helped greatly in our choosing of a state in which to live. 

Texas summers may be a bit brutal, but come October November things start to cool off and this becomes a glorious land. I'm willing to sacrifice some sweat and wilted hair if it means t-shirts and jeans in January. 

My summer tip revelation? No one place is perfect all year round (although Monterey is about as ideal as it gets). Embrace your home. If you truly can't handle cold winters, then be prepared to get crisp in toasty summers. And if heat isn't your thing, buy some snow shoes and move to New England. 

Choose What You Love
Love What You Choose

For our family we greatly sacrificed being near any extended family and countless other things just so this Mama could stay warm and happy. (Because if Mama ain't happy...). People are faced with decisions every day, some big while others are small. Regardless, trust your gut. Trust your experiences. Nothing is ever perfect. But Texas is mighty close. So I suggest you move here. Pronto.


6 comments:

  1. Are you sure it's not your Florida blood getting the best of you? We may move for PA School- but I'm not convinced we would want to stay out of Florida forever. I NEED the sun! Humidity-free summers sound amazing though! Thanks for posting as this has been on my mind with Jenny moving and PA school getting closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you girl. VA is where it's AT!!! I would never lead you astray.

      Delete
  2. You know, this is a small thing, but I absolutly hate snow. And the fact that you hate it seriously makes me trust you more lol. I know weird. But true. I feel like people who dislike snow are somehow instantly trustworthy. Maybe I need to get out more. Ah well.
    But seriously, texas has been on my list of possible places to live and next week visiting you might just be a test run for me... shhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that we moved to Alaska shows you how we felt about Texas. ha ha. I do not miss the summers there! It was nice to not have a long stretch of winter though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing you write about Texas because we will be in Denton when Nathan gets out of the Army so he can go to flight school! yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting. This was really close to my heart. I struggled initially with my move to Florida (which isn't even THAT different from VA...actually that's a lie. It's way different) but I found that when I tried harder to put on my big girl pants and my happy face, the rest of the house followed suit. Home is where the heart is! :)
    PS. Everyone I've talked to who has lived in Texas loved it. Jessica, this does not give you permission to go to Texas for PA school. Just so we're clear on that.

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/