Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The 10 day Count Down to Halloween: Fun Family Activities!

I looked in the mirror and jumped back at what I saw. 
“What am I again?” I asked my dad. 
“You’re supposed to be a mime." 
“Oh…ok,”  I said slowly trying not to hurt my dad’s feelings. 
“Everyone’s going to love it!” he quickly added. 
Yeah, if they don’t run from me first, I thought.  

As I stepped back from the mirror, I felt like I was one of Dr. Frankenstein’s creations, a guinea pig really to one of my dad’s crazy experiments of Halloween make-up “artistry”. Being only 10, I wanted to be something a little cuter, like a fairy, or maybe a princess. But my dad wanted to try out some cool face paint for a mime costume that he and my mom had put together for me. While I can’t seem to find a picture of what I looked like after that memorable make-up session (honestly, what a bummer)…I vaguely remember kind of looking like one of these guys:


Or maybe a little like her. 


Needless to say, I wasn’t crazy about that year’s costume, but I have to say, I never did forget it.

Years later, I now smile at the thought of all of those funny costumes and botched make up attempts, the tummy aches from all of the candy we ate and the hysterical memories of my dad trying on silly costumes in attempt to make us all laugh until it hurt. 

  Halloween is one of my favorite holidays because my parents truly did make it so special for all of us. 

My dad always took us trick-or-treating and helped with our costumes. I cherish the time I spent with him. The memories we all made together laid a foundation of what I wanted my own kids to experience. When BBH and I finally had kids, we promised we would make the holiday season always memorable and exciting for them just as we had experienced as kids and even better, if possible. 

With Halloween only 10 days away, I found it befitting to share some of our little family's top 10 Halloween and Fall bucket list activities. I'm almost positive (and hope) a few will make your list as well!

10-Decorate your haunted haven with some fall flair- Kick off the autumn season with some fall decorations! There are lots of great ways online to decorate your home without breaking the bank. Little by little and year by year you can add to your fall decorations. Last year I made a version of this:
Image credit: cjaneblog.blogspot.com
And this:

Image credit: myheartsdesireblog.com
9- Conjure up your costumes together- Finding costumes for a family of four or more can cost a pretty penny! Take some time to brainstorm a few months in advance and gather materials to make your own creative costumes together with your family. Check out this awesome website for ideas on how to find or make costumes while on a budget. There are also great deals at consignment shops or hand-me-downs from friends and family members.

Image credit: funcheaporfree.com
8- Promenade down to the local pumpkin patch- Many cities have local farms with pumpkin patches and offer organic produce at great prices. Take a weekend to go check out one or two and take advantage of the perfect fall family photo opportunities, too!

7- Have a pumpkin carving contest- Make it a yearly family tradition to carve or decorate pumpkins the week before Halloween! There are a lot of free jack-o-lantern patterns online. Here are some free ones from Pumpkin Masters and Orange and Black Pumpkins.

One of our carved pumpkins from last Halloween!
6- Support a local family 5k or 1-mile fun run- The fall & holiday season not only kick off lots of fun activities, but also many sweets, goodies and heavy meals. Look for a local community fun run that will not only support a great cause but will help your family stay fit and healthy throughout the months.

5- Make Halloween Treats together- Come October I'm ready to start smelling the warm aroma of baked goods and especially that familiar smell of pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Here is an amazing recipe to try from Two Peas & Their Pods. Mini-me and My-girl are already becoming accustomed to my love for chocolate and baking. Wrap a loaf or two up and swing them by a neighbor's or friend's house. They will love you for it!

Credit Image: Two Peas & Their Pod
4-“Boo” your neighbor- Try this fun take on a "Secret Santa" and make this a new Halloween tradition with the fam. To start a Halloween "Boo", leave a small gift basket, a "Boo" poem, the instructions and a "Boo" sign at a neighbor's doorstep. The neighbor receiving the Boo posts the "We've been Boo-ed" sign on their window (so that others know they've already been "boo-ed") and is then asked to "Boo" two other households, which leads to a spooktacular neighborhood chain reaction of neighborly love.
Image Credit: Organized home
3- Make Halloween crafts-Enjoy your time with the kiddos by making a few fun crafts to frame and add to your fall decor. Here is one we'll be making soon: 

Image credit: Makegreat.wordpress.com
And here is a wonderful site with lots more for you and your family to try: 100- Fall Activities & Crafts for the Kids.

2-Have a pumpkin party with the family. Have a pumpkin-themed dinner and party with your family and friends! Here are a couple of websites to get some ideas flowing:




1-Watch Halloween movies- Nothing makes me more happy than eating caramel-covered popcorn while cuddling up with my loves and watching a Halloween movie. I’m typically a big chicken, but I love a good Halloween kid flick. Some of my favorite movies were It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and Hocus Pocus. Here is a list of some of the best Halloween movies for the kids, ranked from the least to most spooky from Reader's Digest. 

Image credit: Best Halloween Movies for Kids from Reader's Digest

Happy Halloween!!

2 comments:

  1. So cute Faye! We have done family themed costumes every year but this year my older boys decided they didn't want to participate. Growing up is hard! Love these ideas for some fun family traditions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I really love Halloween. Bummer about the themed costumes with your boys...I'm sure the time will come soon when our girls will want to opt out of participating in our craziness. Oh why can't they stay little longer? :)

      Delete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/