Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Creating Me

Today's guest post is by Tara, my sister-in-law! Tara is a California mama to two little girls, a substitute teacher, and an artist. If you want to see some of her work be sure to check out her Etsy shop: geoBright. Her handmade jewelry is phenomenal.
xoxo,
Sarah
_____________________________


Today I spent an hour painting with my daughters. It is part of an internal project I have going on to pay more attention to my oldest. I think she is a tender child that that feels love from me the most as I spend time with her – hey I guess this isn’t new and most kids are like this!


Putting aside all the wonderful things that I learned about my daughter and the great time I did have with her (she is really a terrifically polite little one) painting palm tree after palm tree with an exploding volcano in the background is not something I would choose to do on my own time.



But like I said... putting that aside, one thing that keeps me going is the idea that I am helping my children develop talents now so that they can do even more creatively-driven things with me later. Selfish? Maybe – but not at the core of it. I want my children to be happy and successful and CREATIVE.


Becoming the mother I am today was a truly difficult process for me. (maybe someday I can guest post again and have a chance to write a little more about some of those difficulties). But somewhere around the time that I started to merge the world of ME and the world of being a MOM, I came across this idea of creativity; and it hit home:


I love being creative. Creativity is central to who I am – as it is with every mother. As a young adult I loved drawing, writing poetry, playing the violin and ceramics. And now I love blogging (once in a while), photography and making jewelry.



And so I create every day, just like every mother. I created my own children (with a little help *wink**wink*). I create ways to sooth them and love them. I create when I play with them. I create when I make dinner. I create when I renovate my home and when I think of the future.


I had to grow and change and develop to become the mother I am now. And I know there is more growth and change ahead. But I get to keep creating. I will keep creating the person who is me and I get to keep creating my own future.

The specifics are a little superfluous. I create. That is me.

2 comments:

  1. I often get bored playing with my kids. I know thay sounds terrible, but I like what you had to say bc it made me realize that finding something we all like to do is important. For me, my kids love baking, as do I. I think I'm going to work harder at having them in the kitchen with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. Your girls will appreciate those special times creating with you. I still remember making things with my mom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/