Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Once Upon a Time...



Once upon a time there was a quirky, flat-chested, 18 year old girl who set-off for college.
In the end they all lived happily ever after.

I’m stuck somewhere between those two lines.  I’m no longer 18, no longer quite-so-flat-chested, but still pretty quirky.  In the fall of 2007, I met my best friend (my knight in shining armor/handsome prince as it were).  We started dating early 2008, got engaged that June, and were married in November.   Four and a half years and two kids later, I think we’re doing pretty good.

I used to blog- a few years ago.  I felt like I wasn’t too shabby at it either.  I would post daily (sometimes more than once daily) but then life happened and I started to post monthly, quarterly, yearly, never.   Once I graduated with a degree in Elementary Education and we had our first child (Graham-June 2011), I pretty much gave up on the whole social-journaling “thing” and started with the whole trying to get a job and raise a child “thing”.

With much searching, applying, interviewing, and praying- I was blessed with a job teaching Middle School Science.   I think I’m pretty good at teaching- and I enjoy it.  I feel like I’ve learned so much as an educator.  I have the opportunity to spend time with kids, to inspire them.  That being said… it is also incredibly challenging. Especially now that we’ve added baby number two into the mix! (Xander- June 2013)

While I am off battling the beasts of pubescent body odor, apathetic eye-rolls, and the general wrath of working-mother’s-guilt, my knight in shining armor is home conquering nap-time, temper-tantrums, and swimming lakes of spilled-milk.  I greatly admire him as he takes the time after hours to also overthrow the evilness of chemistry, statistics, and slay all other dragons of dreadful college academics. 

One day, when he’s done with school we will switch places.  The thought is both thrilling and terrifying.  But I don’t think about it too much now.  I’m more concerned with this part of the story than the ending.  I already know the ending.  I know everything will turn out right- we will get our happily ever after. 

But it is definitely being an adventure getting there.

I’m really looking forward to writing for “To Each Their Own” and I hope my posts will be a positive addition each week.


Here we go!


8 comments:

  1. Great post Jess! Thanks for letting me take part in your blogchild! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your enjoying this part of the journey. Too many people spend all their time thinking about someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One day, when he’s done with school we will switch places. The thought is both thrilling and terrifying. But I don’t think about it too much now." This really hits home with me, but in the opposite way. In my family I'm the stay at home parent going to school. It's hard to imagine in 2-4 years it's going to be the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here, here to flat chestedness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol!! I wuv you, Jess! I'm so glad we are sisters!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not too shabby at all! (:

    It's nice to get to know more about you! We've never had the chance to share more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute post, you are adorable. Some days I want to rush through this part of life, I find myself saying "When the girls are bit older things will be easier" or even the opposite "Why aren't they little anymore!?" I'm trying to enjoy every day exactly where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My baby was born June 2011 as well! he is my second. they r both boys. I also have a degree in elementary education but no longer use it. I would be pretty scared to actually. I really appreciate your comment about life turning out right and enjoying it as it is now. I think, I KNOW I REALLY need to work on that. the way u put it though gave me that ah ha moment. good job teach ;)

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/