Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Worth It

Hi Ya’ll! (that’s what I feel I should say now that I have lived in Texas for nearly a year!)

I am Sarah-
a young mama to 3 teeny boys
a lawyer’s wife
a lover of yellow
a two-time thyroid cancer fighter
a daughter of God and divorced parents
a girly girl who doesn’t mind if her little boys get dirty
a West Virginian turned Kansan turned Texan
a stubborn soul
a crier
a chocolate chip cookie addict
a student (surprise, I’m starting my college education again this fall)
a lover of music from classical and country to rap and rock (current favs:  Fall Out Boy’s “Light‘em Up” and Amber Carrington’s version of “Sad”)
a little naïve
a hater of washing dishes
a Mormon
a friend, I love GNO!
a DIY’er

I am on a journey to rediscover myself now that I have three boys four and under! My newest edition, Aaron, is 12 weeks old today. My oldest, Payton, turned 4 in April…so for two weeks I had three kids three years old and under!


Basically, they are my world. Sometimes this is a good thing. Sometimes it drives me crazy. But, always, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I am married to this man, Brandon:


It’s been a hard, but blessed, five years of marriage. He is my best friend.

Brandon is a smarty pants and just graduated with an LL.M. in tax law. Now he is on the hunt for a nice-paying job (three kids = $$$). In the meantime money is tight as he clerks for a local law firm.  

I truly believe that my life comes in waves:  waves of ease and waves of trials. My pregnancy with Aaron and that time in our life was pretty simple. It was not trial free, but it was doable. Then we had the fussiest-least sleeping baby on the earth, and then Brandon graduated and needed a new job...and then I was recently re-diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Previously, after Derek (age 2) was born the cancer was discovered and I went through surgery and a type of radioactive treatment called I-131. Sadly, at a routine checkup after Aaron’s birth, the cancer was found again in lymph nodes in my neck.

Two days ago I had surgery to remove those lymph nodes. And, lucky me, an MRI showed still more lymph nodes that need further investigation. Soon I will have more biopsies and probably more surgeries.  


But, today, I feel peace. Life is not easy but cancer doesn’t define me. It adds to me. Motherhood also doesn’t define me; it too adds to who I already am. When it comes to motherhood…well, I have a lot to learn. I fail at it every day. But, you know, I also triumph in little--and sometimes big-- ways. Each of us does.

So breathe, try to be happy, let your kids get messy, and to be easy on yourself. At the end of the day this motherhood thing, this life thing, is not easy but it is worth it.

keepin' it real
this is what my family pictures typically look like

I’m excited to blog for “To Each Their Own”! Selfishly, I’m happy to have something to think about other than cancer, cloth diapers, and cleaning!

So here’s to this new adventure!

9 comments:

  1. Love this post. You explain motherhood in the perfect way- not easy but so worth it. <3 Also, when you said kids=$$$ I totally thought you meant you get money for having kids. I was like- how'd I miss that perk?! Lol then I realized you meant they cost money and I related to you again 100%. You rock Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, haven't I told you about how you can rent your kids out for cash? Why do you think I have so many?

      Delete
    2. Bahaha. Child labor is the way to go!

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to get to know you! Wow! All boys! I have this guy feeling that I too will end up with all boys. We'll see...

    Loved the list! I am planning on incorporating a list to my introductory post! So we sorta think alike! (:

    I love the "I fail at it everyday" comment. It's very true for all of us, I think. The important thing is that we remember the triumphs! Otherwise we'd be a wreck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had someone visit our church a couple of weeks ago who said you only fail if you quite trying. Success is just getting up the next day and trying again, and again, and again . . . . Someone else said that basically we lose the battles day to day sometimes, but we win the war if we just keep trying. Or like we say at our house "just keep swimming, just keep swimming".

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post Sarah! I love your positivity and strength.

    PS. All the coolest people say "ya'll".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always amazes me to see so many moms out there who have different struggles and through it all, are still so positive! I'm excited to get to know all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I am inspired by your positivity! Just learned that you wrote your blog while recovering from surgery! You are amazing! I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I fail at motherhood every day too, But the successes are awesome! I loved reading your blog, I related to a lot of it. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/