Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

5 "Must Haves" When Potty Training

I’ve potty trained one boy and am in the midst of potty training another. They are taking two entirely different approaches (one was completely self-motivated, the other has needed a million M&Ms + a fire truck sticker chart as motivation). However, I’ve found that the following five things are necessary when it’s time to get down to business regardless of what playbook you are using:

1. Sani Wipes- Look I am pretty much a cheap, “all natural” type of girl (vinegar, water, and spray bottle), but when it comes to potty training, especially little boys, buy the Sani Wipes in bulk (heck, you should probably buy stock in Sani Wipes). You won’t regret it.

2. Stool- Not only does your wee one need to reach the sink to wash his/her hands, but I have found that I need somewhere to sit while waiting and waiting and waiting for the Littles to do their thing. Also, my kids have a hard time learning to poop on the toilet without being able to push their feet against something (we use a seat that sits on top of our toilet). So, when it’s time for #2 I get my lazy bum off the stool and slide it under their feet. Counter pressure does wonders.

3. Elastic Pants- Zippers? Snaps? Buttons? No way. Speed is everything when potty training. Stick with elastic easy on/easy off bottoms

4. Hand Sanitizer- duh.

5. Flushable Wipes (or if you’re lucky like me and your toilet handles it, regular baby wipes)- The first few weeks of constant toileting those bums still need soft wipes! They've never been exposed to coarse toilet paper, so without the usage of wipes things get a little red. Happy bum = happy toddler = happy mom.

Good luck! 


12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my mother was potty training my brother and I, back in the stone ages, she swore (not at me, but at the logic) that if she put a potty chair in the bathroom and encouraged her little darling to accompany herself each time nature called...well, it just set in motion the need with the child and voila! I tried that with my own little darlings, and what I got was a tired bum and a ring around my...well, you know. My kids were stubborn. But I have to say, not that this will help...I believe it is easier to train girls than boys. I applaud your efforts Sarah! I know how tough your Littles can be to coerce, er...train. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the delete girls...just found a weird typo I had to correct. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just remembered I have a picture of my little girl reading a book whilst waiting on nature to call...I could share, if you'd like?? (insert evil laugh...hee hee hee hee)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was PERFECT! I remember many, many, many days spent sitting on that stool. And the elastic pants? AMEN!!!! I remember that scene in Kindergarten Cop where the little girl needs to go to the bathroom and she has overalls on and Arnold can't get the snaps off.
    But you forgot the chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Chocolate for me, yes. But then I'd have to share if they saw it. I should have included:

      6. Chocolate hidden in the pantry as Mama's reward

      Up until the last month or two my boys have been extremely lactose intolerant so with #1 chocolate wasn't an option at all. (poor boy!)

      Delete
  6. lol When my husband is feeling like pampering himself he buys flushable wipes to use on himself so I couldn't help but smile a little when I read that. I'll have to make sure to tell him hands off when I buy them for potty training purposes (orrrr make sure he has his very own flushable wipes so he isn't tempted to use theirs). Hehehe... On a completely different note, I wonder if it'll be a good idea or a bad one to try and potty train my kids at the same time since they are only going to be 15 months apart... The older is a boy and the younger is a girl and I've heard that boys can be harder and it's sometimes better to wait longer with them but that many girls can handle starting a little earlier. Maybe when they are 18 months and a little over 2 and a half years I'll try to tackle them both at the same time and just get it all over with at once? Anyone have any thoughts? I realize this could either be a wonderful idea or end up a terrible nightmare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would give it six extra months, if it were me. i think 18 months is a little young. at that age it is actually not good for little ones to "hold" their urine because of risk of infection. just a suggestion, but i might wait a little bit.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Jenny. Plus, it depends on how mature your 18 month old really is, because she could take to it really well.....OR it could just end up with you being the one that's potty trained and you'll spend every single day all day long asking her if she needs to potty instead of her actually telling YOU when she needs to go. I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
    3. Thanks guys! Yeah I looked it up after posting that and it seems it usually doesn't really work out well trying to do 2 at once just because they are somewhat close in age. Like everyone says, they are ready when they are ready and if I try to force them to both be ready at the same time I'm just going to be setting myself up for failure. Lol. So I guess I'll just go with the flow like so many seem to be recommending. Thanks for your input!

      Delete
  7. I would say after potting training 10...I didn't potty train any of them!! They did it them selves. I tried to potty train a couple of them and that was a horrible experience but when I let them lead it was such a better experience, I love all 5 of your necessities I think I would add one more and that would be patience, with your self and them!! It will happen eventually, just because you hear of someones child being potty trained at 18mo. doesn't mean yours at three is a failure if they are just starting. Every child and mother is different and some children have medical issues you don't find out about until later. So please the thing I would stress the most is enjoy your little ones and love them for them!! Don't compare them or you to anyone else!! Let the spirit guide you and all will turn out well Oh and happy potty training!! :) Just so you know... none of mine were potty trained at 18 mo. My youngest a boy wasn't completely potty trained until he was 3 and a half.. I should have been an expert by then, I think by then I was, the last couple were much smoother and less stressful than the others, so much nicer which meant I was a much nicer mommy!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/