Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Smells Like Summer Spirit

Did you know that the sense that triggers memory best is the sense of smell? I wasn't sure that I really bought into that theory, until I had morning sickness. To this day, I cannot bottled Febreze without my stomach turning, even though it's been over a decade since its lovely aroma sent me rushing to my porcelain bff with baby #1. Now I'm a believer.

So when I was thinking about this week's topic, "favourite summer memories", it wasn't surprising to me when all my favourite memories involve smells.

Every season of my life has brought different smells. Some are good. Some are  less good. But all have been part of the journey. 

My childhood summers smelled like cut grass, sunscreen, chlorine, smoke from the bug zapper. They smelled like ebelskivers cooking in the cast iron pan, with a little bit of burned jam that leaked from the side. Bonfires and fireworks on the fourth of July. Tomatoes being canned. Grandma McKenna's bedsheets. Mint tea and flower gardens. It smelled like the gasoline from the garage where Grandpa's tractor was kept. It smelled like Chessmen cookies at bedtime.

The summers of my youth smelled like the barn. Saddle soap and leather. Fly spray and molasses coated grain. They smelled like the first few minutes after a good rain after we've waited under the overhang to take the horses out for a nice long ride. They smelled like porta-a-johns where I'd cope with pre-horse show jitters and sweat from underneath my helmet. They smelled like salt water and sand and the only kind of fish I can handle (the kind that I am not expected to eat). They smelled like books; sweet-smelling ink, old paper and binding. Those summers smelled like hot dogs and white cheddar and pink applesauce at Grandma's house and BBQ chicken on the grill on the front porch.

My teenage summers still smelled like the barn but they also smelled like movie theatres and Smith Mountain Lake and the stale cigarette smoke from my 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass. They smelled like the wood flooring at my first job and my favourite Chinese buffet. They smelled like my first boyfriend's cologne and sun ripened raspberry body splash. They smelled like Frank's Pizza. And sunshine and line-dried bed sheets (back in the day when I actually got to be in bed long enough to see sunshine or smell sheets). They smelled like the hospital and the chemotherapy room and saline from mom's IV. They smelled like my hands after holding hers.

Summer still smells amazing as an adult. It smells like freshly bathed babies and sunscreen. Like fresh strawberry shortcake. Like the paper bags at the Pole Green Produce Market and dirt from the softball field. It smells like smoke from the grill on my husband's shirt and watermelon slices. It smells like home baked bread and honey and the outside of Bruster's Ice Cream. It smells like open windows during thunderstorms and sweaty children. It smells like bug spray and peanut butter and the vapor from number six's nebulizer treatments. It smells like cobbler and eczema cream and s'mores and exhaustion (yes, exhaustion does, in fact, have a smell).

And speaking of exhaustion, and how it smells...it smells like this woman. Twelve hour car trips with six children is like the essential oil of exhaustion. It's concentrated and pressed and stuck in a tiny little bottle and when you open it, boy is it going to get ya.

So thank you for enduring my nostalgic trip down memory smell lane. I am going to go walk around in circles forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing.


10 comments:

  1. This was perhaps your sweetest post so far. I found myself smelling some of the same smells from my memories as I read yours. And the ones I hadn't- I felt like I was experiencing for the first time. My heart swells going down memory lane- even when the memories aren't my own. Maybe you should write sleep-deprived more often. Just kidding. You need your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny! I feel like we grew up down the road from each other. I loved how you mentioned the smell of rain. It was one of my favorite smells growing up in Kentucky.

    Hope you get some rest today and recover from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite smell of all time is laundry drying. It is not just a summer thing but I love smelling it outside in the fresh air. I also love the smell of people grilling out. You know it is summer when people grill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I'm always pleasantly surprised when I smell something familiar. I'm left with a bitter-sweet longing for my past. This is a werid one, but the smell of crushed leaves bring me back to my childhood. I spend most of my days in the backyard crushing all of my "ingredients" (leaves, mud, mangoes, flower petals, bark, etc.) and cooking them over my pretend fire. Then I'd proceed to feed this yummy meal to my barbies and stuffed animals (Buzz Lightyear included). Those were the days when life was simple and the only things on my mind were barbies and dirt. A little later I was obsessed with spiders and caterpillars. That's another story.

    Thank you for helping me reminisce! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jenny! I totaallly related to this!! I love how smells remind us of sweet memories. Like smelling my kids' soap and shampoo. lol I know one day, when they are all grown up I will long for the days when I can smell their sweet baby hair. Makes me never want them to grow up. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faye, you just made me a little sad ): I already miss my newborn baby. lol. I can't believe he's two years old already... and throwing tantrums. ):

      Then one day I'll miss these tantrums. lol.

      Delete
  6. Songs always take me back too - vivid memories. I so wish you could teach Abby how to ride. I want her summers to smell like saddle soap and leather. btw - I had a Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme too. How funny is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'm gonna get my hands on that little budding equestrian.

      Delete
  7. Songs always take me back too - vivid memories. I so wish you could teach Abby how to ride. I want her summers to smell like saddle soap and leather. btw - I had a Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme too. How funny is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun to walk down memory smell lane with you!! I loved this post, summer is my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/