Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

PUSH Down The Aisle


The day had come. I had waited so long. There I was. There they were, all staring at me. They watched my every move and smiled at me warm heartedly, inviting me in. They all celebrated my arrival and decision to take the next step. I continued forward, walking deeper and deeper into an ocean of insecurity, doubt, and temptation.

I considered running out of there as fast as I could. I didn't think I was strong enough to make the right decision. I chose to stay. I continued down the aisle.  My journey had begun. I took a deep breath. Let the shopping commence.

This is what shopping is like for me. At least since I’ve committed to  the high standards of modesty that are strongly encouraged in my church. 

Increased standards of modesty is perhaps one of the hardest commitments I’ve ever made. Especially because I felt perfectly modest prior to becoming a member of the Mormon Church. It isn’t challenging because I like to dress promiscuously, enjoy showing cleavage, or like to put my legs on display. In fact, it’s the complete opposite!  What I sometimes obsess over are the actual clothes, not how much skin I show. Here are some common thoughts I might have when shopping or dressing for the day.

It’s just skin and bones, why should I have to hide it. I am not my skin.

It’s way too hot outside. There’s no way I’m wearing an undershirt.

What harm could I possibly cause by wearing this adorable black lace skirt?

The lace back on this satin, pastel shirt is so beautiful. I don’t want it because it’s revealing or would attract attention. I just want to wear it. It would make me feel pretty! 

All pretty innocent thoughts, right?

Oh, and how about swimsuits? Don’t even get me started! I love two pieces AND one pieces! I love the colors, the patterns, the styles, and the textures! So what in the world keeps me from wearing two pieces? If I love them so much, why don’t I just wear them and enjoy it?

I wish I could round this blog out with how I’ve overcome my personal modesty challenges. I've erased two entire paragraphs because it just didn’t feel real. I still occasionally choose cute lace back shirts and short summer skirts (not mini skirts, but just short-ish). Some of my shirts are a little too low. Some of my shorts are a little too short.

My church challenges its members when it comes to modesty with the following question: “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord's presence?” For the majority of what I wear, I could sincerely answer yes. To some of my clothes, not so much.

What I am excited to share with you is that I am always challenging myself to PUSH forward and be better than the person I was yesterday. I always strive to open up my mind. I could carry on thinking that what I wear affects only me. On the other hand, I can expand my mind to the idea that how I clothe my body affects the people around me- sometimes, very negatively.

There aren't many worse feelings (as a married woman) than being the cause of a married man’s (or single) lustful thoughts and desirous thinking.  Can you imagine?

Here’s a scenario: Let’s say I’m wearing my loyal turquoise V-neck t-shirt and some jeans. I feel perfectly comfortable and modest. We have company. We’re lounging on our couch. The AC is down low and I’m so cold! I hug myself and rub my arms to warm them up. In the process I create cleavage! You know the kind I’m talking about (the kind we create in the mirror when no one’s looking). I look up and I catch the eye of my good friend’s husband, who had just spend 2-3 seconds looking at my breast. Yes, I said it- my breasts! I look away and pretend I didn’t notice. Can you feel the awkwardness?

 I feel uneasy. Because of my carelessness, I put him in this awkward situation. Perhaps he will never think of it again. Maybe he’s at a place spiritually and in his marriage that something like this couldn’t possibly faze him. Maybe that night, while lying next to his wife, he wonders what it would be like to date other women again. Maybe he imagines what it would be like to be intimate with someone new.

This is the kind of thinking that makes me PUSH myself to be selflessly modest. Despite where I stand today in my understanding and acceptance of physical modesty, I need to own my actions. How do I affect my husband? How do I affect other men? How do I make other women feel when I’m around their husbands?

It would devastate me to think that someone wouldn’t feel comfortable with me being around their husband because of my choice of clothing, no matter how comfortable and secure I feel.


When I walk down the aisle again, I will be tugged left and right every time. The colors, patterns, and textures will all sing me my own personal lullaby. Each shirt and each dress will present me with their own personal plead: “Choose me, I’m trendy” or “Choose me, I go perfectly with those shoes you bought last week!” Each time, I will be able to tune more and more out. I will be able to put my own understanding of modesty and weakness for fashion aside, and be a little more selflessly modest. I will PUSH forward, striving to be more modest than I was yesterday.



 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Bianca! I loved your opening. I totally thought you were describing your wedding day...very clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not often clever, but when I am I Do it right. Lol. (: Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I really like the points you make about other married women feeling uncomfortable. I for one don't think my husband is so weak and lustful that a low cut shirt on another woman would cause him to be immoral in anyway. (And in any case- men are responsible for their own thoughts and actions- right?) unfortunately- we all know that we don't always think logically. I admire your consideration for your "sisters'" feelings- truly I do.

    Also- don't think you're the only one pushing. Even as a life-long member, I've had to hold up something on the hanger and really take a long hard look at it. I wore short shorts in middle school, spaghetti straps in high school. My senior prom dress was strapless and I loved it.

    I remember shopping for my wedding dress thinking- do I really have to have sleeves??? Wahhhhh!!!! (That's me crying/whining) growing up in Florida- wearing layers 24/7 is HOT. And not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry for the two-part comment)

      I wanted to ultimately add that I love how you mention the Saviors presence. On a spiritual level- this is a huge defining factor for me. I try to remember that while we can't see him, He is there, and would I feel comfortable wearing this outfit in front of Him?

      That's what makes the choice easy (easier) for me.

      Thank you so much for sharing! I know this is a hard topic.

      Delete
    2. Yes, having an eternal perspective makes everything so much easier for me. It simplifies my life and helps me to get my priorities in line.

      Delete
  3. Bianca, Seeing you striving to be better makes me want to be better, too! KM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to have effected you in a positive way! Thank you for reading my post (:

      Delete
  4. I love how honest you are about your feelings. I've been a member my whole life not always active and not always a complete modest dresser, mostly because a boyfriend wanted me to dress different. I do find at times I like some trendy things that there would be no way I could wear as you so nicely put it in the Saviors presence. I hope you know that you are in a sisterhood where we ALL, whether life long or just newly baptized, have to fight this temptation that Satan seems to throw at us everyday. He seems to say what is beautiful and what is cute, we get tempted and yes at times it would even be more comfortable especially living in a warm climate, I live in S.C. I know. I also know like you that as we like you said strive to be better everyday it will be less and less of a temptation. This is due to the fact that Satan will have less and less influence on our thoughts and we won't care what he thinks is cool or trendy anymore. Thanks for this lovely post. This also brings up something that I hope we realize those of us who are members, that we should not judge and never think ill of another sister or think she is trying to make us feel threatened by her dress. We need to love each other for who we are and where we each are on the path, some are further than others but we are all on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Regina! First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a well thought comment. I can feel your love and support traveling through cyberspace right to me! (:

      It's a wonderful feeling to know that my struggles are not unusual. It's nice to know that I can reach out to a loving and understanding community of women that are too familiar with these common temptations, and receive such sweet and comforting reassurance that it does, in fact, get easier.

      I really appreciate your comment!

      Bianca

      Delete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/