Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer with the Littles

I remember all the fun things I did as a kid. Most of which were just playing in the rain, digging for worms, ect. Now that I'm the mom, it's up to me to make sure my kids have some awesome summer memories to look back on too. Some days I'd rather curl up and read a book, but that's not happening. Ha ha. So I've tried really hard to find some fun things to keep us busy, and in hopes of helping other moms here are a few of our favorites that are free, or at least cheap:

1- Make a "Discovery Jar" this is something we've been doing for a couple of years now. We bought a huge jar and fill it with all sorts of things we find outside. It's full of dirt, rocks, bugs, pinecones, ect. I know this might not sound very exciting. But when we go outside and she sees a cool rock or something she gets so excited about her "Discovery!" And we walk around trying to find other cool things to put in it.

 2- Paint rocks. Luckily for me, this entertains both of my girls enough that they don't have a problem staying in the fenced in part of our yard to play happily.

 3- Build and Grow program. I know I've mentioned this before, it's a program at Home Depot that is free for your kids to go in and build things. My kids both love it! And they get to take home something they made themselves that they can be proud of. If you aren't able to make it the day of the program they also sell the kits you can take home and build on your own time.

 4- Freeze toys in ice. Let the kids chip them out. Again, takes a while and totally entertains them. Honestly, you don't have to even put toys in it. Kids love ice. I'm not sure why. Squinkies are perfect for this, as long as your little one is old enough for them to not be a choking hazard. You can also do bigger containers with bigger toys. :)


5- Balloons. The fun is endless! Blow them up and have a ping pong match with paper plates, throw them in the bath, see who can balance a balloon on their finger. Have a balloon fight. Balloons are so versatile and affordable! They are perfect indoor entertainment for bad weather days.

Of course there are the normal things, ride bikes, go on walks, throw rocks in a river, go camping, color, read books. But above are a few of my kids' favorites. What are some activities that keep your kids entertained in the summer? I would love for some new ideas. :)

6 comments:

  1. Mandi, I only have one question...will you be my mother?

    Seriously, I bet living in your house is a blast. Love the great ideas for kicking summer boredom! Might have to try a few of these around here. :)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have our fair share of "go watch another movie" days though. Ha ha. Can't really blog about those ones, they're no fun.

      Delete
  2. Mandi! I wrote a comment from my phone and didn't show up. Darn! I LOVED your list. It was awesome!! Thanks so much for your cute ideas. I will definitely be trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops! This is Faye, by the way! I forgot to switch accounts and am on my husband's. Gahh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Thank you for sharing such fun ideas! I was running out of things to do with the girls! :D

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/