Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

God Given

Preface:  my husband read this before it posted and said it was extremely serious, more like a sermon than anything else. To that I say:  this is a hard topic for me and the only way I've found any sort of peace is through God.
Amen and Amen.
________________________________

The other day I was gutting my walk-in closet to create a makeshift room for my 4 month old. While rummaging through boxes I came across a journal from my sophomore year of high school. In it I wrote that I was “15 years old, 5 foot 1 inches tall, and 105 lbs”.

Holy cow. Well, not cow. Holy Stick.

I am still 5’1”, but I am no longer 15 and I am definitely no longer 105 lbs.

It’s hard, at times, to not beat myself up over this fact. I know I’ve had three babies, love to cook, and have dealt with thyroid (which controls metabolism) cancer. But I, like so many other women, fight my body.

I want to please God. I want to “glorify God in (my) body” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).  But I want to feel attractive, and the world has taught me that the more skin I show the more beautiful I will be.  Thus, there are these internal battles in my head. There have been times where I forget that my body is sacred, that it is a gift from God. God’s spirit inside of me whispers you are enough but the world yells change this, pluck that, wax here, tighten there.

I’d like to say I have this whole body image, modesty topic figured out. But motherhood? Well, it changed my body and I have since had to try and accept these changes:

Expanded hips because I vaginally birthed three beautiful boys.
Wilted breasts because I nursed two babies.
Flabby mid-section because I now really need chocolate


Let’s take a moment, though, and answer the question, “How has motherhood positively affected my body?”

Wide hips for my babies to sit on
Strong arms from toting a car seat every where
Toned legs from squatting to pick up things while baby wearing
Happier stomach as I actually pay attention to what goes into my mouth and my children’s
Bridled tongue—well, at least I try for it to be
Quick reflexes that snatch little hands as they try to run into parking lots
Bigger heart that bursts each day when watching my children play
Increased stamina. Who knew you could survive on 3 hours of nonconsecutive sleep?
Better nose. Yeah, I can so tell who’s poopy just by their individual smell.

Our sense of self is what we make it—what we dwell on, what we tell ourselves over and over. I pray as women that we remember the positives more than the negatives.
____________________________

When it comes to modesty two questions have been lingering in my mind the past few months:
1.       Why do so many women feel the need to flaunt their bodies?
2.       Where is the “line” between dressing appropriately and not being responsible for other’s sinful thoughts?

To answer the first, I think our culture has taught us that the more skin we show the more beautiful we will be.  This makes me mad.

I know a woman who struggles to see her beauty and to accept herself. Her heart is so tender that she believes her husband (who is a great, God-fearing man) will one day leave her because she does not look like a supermodel.  She also feels she needs to dress revealingly so that her husband will only be enticed by her. This husband does not support these claims (or so she’s told me) saying that he loves her for her whether or not she has small boobs, big boobs, a six pack or a muffin top.



I pray that with time and therapy this friend will overcome these feelings of self-loathing. I pray that she will realize that God made her body. It is perfectly His. Whether a woman is 5’1” or 6’1”, big booty-ed or small booty-ed, she was formed by and loved by God:

“The Lord (hath) made thee, and formed thee from the womb” Isaiah 44:2 
“Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee” Jeremiah 1:5

Next, where is the line between dressing appropriately and not being responsible for other’s thoughts? Growing up I was taught that I needed to be a good Christian girl and keep myself covered as not to cause sinful thoughts in the opposite sex.

What a heavy, wrong burden to bear.

Other’s thoughts are not my responsibility. I choose what thoughts I let linger in my mind.

HOWEVER, there are woman—my former self included—who have pulled up that skirt and lowered that neck line for the simple fact of tryingto get attention. Woman can and sometimes do intend to entice men. (Potiphar’s wife anyone?) If this is a woman’s state of mind then I believe that she is making a “poor choice” (as my 4 year old calls wrong decisions). Short skirts aren’t necessarily wrong. But the thought behind them can be. And that is where a woman’s responsibility lies:  her motives.
_______________________________

When this life is said and done I do not believe God is going to ask me if my inseam was 3 inches or 12. I do not believe He’s going to inquire about the sleeve length of my senior prom dress. He is going to look at my heart. He is going to ask if I accepted, respected, and loved the body He gave me. I hope when that time comes I can, with assuredly, say “yes”.


6 comments:

  1. Great post Sarah! Your writing is so honest and raw. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the part where you talk about how our bodies have been changed for the better after having kids. I think it was really sweet. I loved hearing you bear your soul on this topic as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful and so true. I wish more woman could and did understand the wonderful changes that come from having children, not just physical but the empowerment and strength. Maybe it's because I'm a little older than most of you, not that I don't at times find myself worrying about what I look like. I realized that as a mom of 7 girls this was thinking was being transferred to them. I did have an eating disorder when I was a teenager and had a boyfriend who was controlling and like your friends husband. Thankfully I was strong enough to let him go and get myself healthy but when having my children I had to work even harder to not get sucked back into the body image thing. I did think I was fat a lot but in reality I was either pregnant or just had a baby...that's NOT fat!! I ate right and exercised as best as I could like all of you with little ones. Most of the time they were my exercise. ;) I realized when I saw myself the way God saw me and I mean really saw myself that way, I was guided by the spirit as to what I needed to do for me and was able to lose the weight and find the time to exercise like I wanted. It was after my youngest was 4. So please realize it takes time. Don't compare yourself to these Hollywood woman, they are unrealistic and unhealthy. They aren't raising their kids by themselves either so they get more than 3 hours of sleep and they have cooks, maids and nanny's. If we had all that we could look that good in 3 months too because all we would need to do is work out and play with our kids. The Lord loves us just the way we are and we should too. He wants us to be kind to ourselves as we find that place we will find peace and the perfect woman we are becoming. I hope you ALL find ways to love yourselves right now because you ALL have wonderful qualities and spirits that lift me as I read your blog each week. I love how you help to lift each other and that is what makes you all the MOST beautiful of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina, I love you. Thank you for inspiring me once again <3

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post Sarah! Definitely needed this inspiration today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! I can't believe I'm just commenting on this! You are awesome! Loved your post and it really made me think more positively about my "flaws". I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but we as women are so hard on ourselves. Reading blog posts like yours helps me to always remember my worth in God's eyes instead on focusing on what the world would think of me. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/