Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Monday, July 29, 2013

Da Dip

I have a serious addiction to food. Like, ya'll, I'm not even kidding. I really, really, really like food. This blog post was hard. How do you pick a "favorite summer recipe"? I might as well set out to pick a favorite child. Because my recipes? Well, they are like my babies. My sweet, rich, delicious little food babies. And I love them all. Every single one.
Since I couldn't really choose just one baby recipe to be my favorite and thus win the right of being shared via the world wide web, I decided to pick what I happen to be eating today.
My husband and I are big dippers, not the constellation kind, the food kind. We like anything that we can dip. We like warm dips, cold dips, artichoke and cucumber dips. Ranch and bacon and cheese dips. Salsa and hummus and soups. All things bright and dippable. Mmmmmmmm diiiiiiiiiiiip.
So it's really not surprising that the thing that we have been eating today (and yesterday...and the day before) is dip-related. This dip is spectacular. My friend made a variation of this recipe for me once and I have been meaning to declare my undying love for her and get to work erecting a statue in her honor, but I've been too busy eating this dip. It's even better in the summer because lots of veggies are in season. On top of being delicious, this dip is actually quite healthy, which is awesome. It makes you feel a lot better about eating yourself stupid on it.
Go get a pen...you are going to wanna write this down.

Super Scrumdiddlyumptious Dip:


2 cans of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of black eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
1 can shoepeg corn (drained)
1 can tomatoes with jalepenos (I use mild Rotel because spicy food is like the Joker to my Batman)
1 container of fresh salsa (you can also make your own if you want to be all ambitious and over-achieverish)
2 tsp. fresh chopped garlic
1 cucumber (peeled and chopped)
1-2 avocados (peeled and chopped)
Apple cider vinegar (for the love of all things that dip, please do not use another kind of vinegar)
Sugar
Lime juice 

Combine all your canned things and you fresh veggies, sprinkle with sugar, then add a few swishes of your vinegar. Mix it all up and then squeeze a little lime love over the top. 

You can do a lot with this dip Yesterday we ate it with chips. Tonight we put it on fajitas. You can serve it over rice or with pasta or you can stick your face in the bowl and graze. The possibilities are endless. 

We usually follow this with a nice dessert like cobbler or pie with a good heap of ice cream. When you eat dip for dinner, you get a big dessert. Those are the rules. Happy dipping everyone. 

6 comments:

  1. Yum!!! We love any type of da dips in our house! Thanks for the recipe, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BATMAN! See, you were able to blog about him! ;)

    I've eaten a variation of this and love it too! Going to try this next time though! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds so good!!! I must make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! This seems so simple, yet scrumptious! Will have to try next week! Will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! This seems so simple, yet scrumptious! Will have to try next week! Will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since my comment didn't post earlier this week:

    I just want to say that I favor the head in bowl grazing method.

    Dips are some of my faaaaaavorites as Rachel can tell you I requested some of her yummy chicken dip after I had Xander.

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/