Please Note: The views expressed by the authors of this blog are personal and independent. They do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the adjoining authors or of the blog as a whole.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

This pudding is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

...If you didn't sing-spell the title of this post... you need to.

So- this week our topic is "Favorite Summer Recipes".
Somewhere between getting married and now- I was magically able to convince my husband to do 90% of the cooking in our house.  Don't ask for my secret because I really couldn't tell you.  It just happened.  And it's awesome.

Except... somehow along the way I also kind of forgot how to cook.  Use it or lose it or something like that.  Don't get me wrong- I CAN cook... it's just a lot harder/more stressful.  And uses up the parts of my brain I usually reserve for other things.  Like patience. And saying nice things.

When I do venture into the kitchen, it's usually to make something quick and easy- or for dessert.  Oh man... I DO love making desserts.  Brandon doesn't bake so I'm not a complete culinary waste.  Today I had originally thought to make deviled eggs. I love them.  They're easy. And they super tasty.  But the recipe I use is my mother's and basically one of those "mix these thing until it tastes right".  I thought long and hard about how to portray a taste on this blog and ultimately came-up empty handed.  So on to plan B.

Plan B was to make the dessert we happen to already have the ingredients for, so Banana Pudding with Vanilla Wafers it is!  (There's most likely some better/fancier name for this dessert but most of you probably already know what I'm talking about so it works.)

This is a pretty straight-forward process.
There are some variations here and there, but I'm telling you my way is the best way.


Step 1:
Assemble your ingredients.

Step 2:
Realize that you are making this post just in time because your toddler has nearly annihilated your vanilla wafer supply.  Also keep in mind that brand-name Nilla Wafers are the way to go- but if you have a two year old who loves "cookies"- this is not a very cost-effective option.

Step 3:
Line your dish with vanilla wafers...try to use as many of the non-broken ones as possible because it's fancier.  And we all know fancier is better.  I put the outside ones with the pretty "tops" facing the glass because it's nicer  to look at when you see them through the sides of the clear glass.


Step 6:  Cut up a banana (or two) and layer the bottom of your dish ( on top of the wafers) with the slices.  Think carefully about how big you want your banana pieces to be while you're eating your pudding later- and cut them the right width accordingly.  Also keep in mind that some people hate actual banana slices in their banana pudding and will not eat your dessert if you put them in.  This could be used to your advantage if you so choose...not that I would ever do that.





Step 5:   Mix up your instant banana pudding.  I use brand-name Jello pudding mix because it's awesome and worth the extra 3 cents or whatever.  I also get the bigger box because the little teeny ones are ridiculous.  Doesn't hurt to pretend your one of the witches from Hamlet while you're mixing it up.




Step 6:   Pour your pudding on top of the wafer/banana layers in your dish. Mmmmmm tasty.



Step 7:  Put your dish in the fridge so the pudding can finish solidifying and your wafers can soak up that banana goodness.  Then take another selfie in the kitchen because the interior your fridge is such a mess it should not be photographed.

Look at me! I made instant pudding! whooohooo!!!!

Step 8:  Cover with Reddi-Whip and enjoy while your two year old throws a temper tantrum on the kitchen floor behind you  because he wanted "cookies" for lunch.





Also I saw these  "Banana Caramel Creme Dessert" dishes on Pinterest and thought they looked so delicious.  I don't have caramel sauce or maybe I would have attempted this instead....but I'm pretty happy with my result. :)




9 comments:

  1. The dancing pictures are RIDICULOUSLY awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm sounds tasty! I can totally relate to the cooking/baking roles in your home. Somewhere along the lines my husband ended up becoming the chef in our home too (I also don't know how this happened, it's like magic!). However, I too, do all the baking: cookies, bananana bread, cake, fudge, whatever I happen to be craving because, of course, I'm the one with the major sweet tooth and the baking skills. He's an amazinggggg cook though. He's one of those people who can just throw a bunch of random spices on something and make it taste AMAZING. The last time we took a meal over to a family in our ward who had a baby, she texted me raving about "my" awesome stir fry and praising me on "my" cooking abilities, saying I needed to teach her how to make it like that. Haha I ALMOST didn't tell her my only contribution to the meal was that I picked up the ingredients and 2-liter of soda from the store haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughs through tears. Today's been long and hard. Your pictures made me laugh though, especially the one(s) where you are smiling through the bowl. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!! HUUHHH-larious!! Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha! After a long demanding day, I'm so pleased to read your post and see your funny pictures. Thank you, Jess! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! After a long demanding day, I'm so pleased to read your post and see your funny pictures. Thank you, Jess! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures Rock! Lol. And the recipe sounds tasty! I will have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I told you this yesterday, but I teared up a little when I read this post. I know its just banana pudding.....but it was my Papa's favorite dessert. My Mom always made it for our family reunions and whenever he was in town. I even made it for him after Jonathan and I got married and went to visit him at his home in Mount Dora, Florida. I remember his face lit up when I took the top off the bowl to reveal the banana pudding and he couldn't wait to dig in. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Lend us some sugar... we are your neighbors!

Join-in the discussion by joining our Conversation Lounge on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TETOConvoLounge/